Pages

Thursday 31 July 2014

BBQ Beer Crust Pizza


I LOVE PIZZA!

When I was a child it was my duty in life to eat as much pizza as I could.  Glorious were the weeks when I could get pizza for 3-4 meals in a row!   Take out for dinner, leftovers for breakfast (a valid option in the AM as far as I am concerned) and then pizza lunch at school.  Throw in the odd snack here and there of frozen mini pizzas or if those weren't available making my own and I was golden.

I learned to become the ultimate pizza improvisor.  Any form of bread was a good base, if there was no pasta sauce in the house ketchup with basil, oregano and garlic powder would do just fine.  I would raid the fridge and anything hiding in there was fair game for toppings.


My Mom had this crust recipe that she would make quite often.  Nothing beat Mom's homemade pizza and when I moved out on my own I tried and failed many time to make the crust.  Now you need to know that doughs and I DO NOT get along.  I just don't seem to have the knack for kneeding and rolling, so I filed Mom's recipe under things I'd never be able to do and moved on.  Then I came across this on Pinterest and I had to give it a try.


If you are anything like me you probably have everything in the house to make this crust tonight.


When I first gave it a try I knew it could go really bad really fast and we could be ordering take out.  But this dough was easy to work with and came together super fast, I made it while the little ones napped.



 So for the past year or so this pizza crust has been an almost weekly occurrence in our house.  When summer rolled around I got courageous and decided to try it on the BBQ.


After some research (back to Pinterest) I decided on the best method to try and gave it a go.  It worked and it was delicious.


So now we make BBQ Beer Crust Pizza almost every Friday.  The best part I just scrounge in the fridge and use leftovers as toppings.  These babies pictured above featured chicken, asparagus, red peppers and corn.  I mixed a little BBQ Sauce in with a pasta sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese (the only thing that needed to picked up on the way home from work).

A few hints if you choose to try your crust on the BBQ:
* Have your BBQ nice and hot
* Oil the surface of the dough that will be touching the grill
* Don't worry if dough falls through the grill it will all work out in the end
* Work fast with flipping and topping so the grill doesn't cool.














No comments:

Post a Comment