Pages

Friday 9 May 2014

Oops! We had Slow Cooked BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches Instead

Sometimes I find that I set out with the intention of cooking one thing and half way through the process everything completely changes.

That delicious looking sandwich was originally going to be this healthful salad courtesy of Six Sisters Stuff


Doesn't that look yummy????

So how did I get to this:


Well it is simple really.  In the morning I placed all the ingredients in my slow cooker; a bottle of BBQ sauce and four chicken breasts.  Yep, that's it!  I am not even going to do a recipe write up for this one as that is literally all that goes into these sandwiches.  You can get all fancy pants and make your own homemade BBQ sauce like one of these listed here, but let's be honest who has the time for that on a weekday.

So the intention was to make the yummy looking salad shown above. I spent the day in the house with the aroma of the chicken cooking and there was something not quite right.  The smell, not that it smelt bad, it just didn't scream to me "put me on a salad".  We make pulled pork A LOT in our house, especially when entertaining and it was reminding me of that.  What this chicken needed wasn't a salad, it was a bun.

I quickly sent a text asking the hubby to stop and grab some buns on the way home from work and the veggies for the salad became this;


Ok, so I really haven't changed the original plan too much.  I added a bun, omitted some store bought ranch dressing and created this;

So this is where oops becomes yeah!  Wrong type of BBQ sauce = yummy pull chicken sandwiches and a homemade salad dressing that was a BIG hit with our almost two year old. Double Win!  


Have you every completely jumped ship in the middle of a recipe?  Did you end up with a fabulous discovery?

No comments:

Post a Comment